Regulations related to Exporting Food

Section 1: Export Food Safety Certificate
(Food Sanitation Law)

When exporting food products from Japan to other countries, a certificate regarding the safety of the food products to be exported may be required by the destination country in accordance with the laws and regulations of the country.

In such a case, the exporter need to apply for a food safety certificate, and if the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare approves the safety of the food, the certificate will be issued (Article 65-4 of the Food Sanitation Law).


Section 2: Export Certificates (Act on Facilitating the Export of Agricultural, Forestry, and Fishery Products and Food)

In cases where the governmental agency of the exporting country requires the issuance of an export certificate for food and agricultural, forestry, and marine products for which import conditions are specified, and upon application by the exporter, the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare (/prefectural governor, etc.) may issue an export certificate after confirming that the import conditions concerned are fulfilled (Article 15 of the same law).

Specific examples include export certificates for food, etc. pertaining to radioactive material regulations in each country or region, and free sale certificates for food, feed, pet food, etc.


Section 3: Rice

Those who intend to export rice grains (i.e. rice fir, brown rice, milled rice, and crushed rice) are basically required to notify the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in advance (Food Law, Article 36).

Please contact us if you have any questions.